Two men rescued from burning County Durham store

Scene of Consett fire
Image caption Much of the building was gutted in the blaze

Two men were rescued by firefighters after becoming trapped in a flat above a blazing shop in County Durham.

The pair were taken to hospital after being pulled from the burning convenience store on Old Hall Road, Consett, late on Friday.

The men were treated at the scene before being taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke.

A joint fire service and police investigation is under way in an effort to discover how the fire started.

Station Manager Chris Hockaday, of County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said one of the men was pulled to safety out of a window, while the other was carried from the rear of the building.

No-one else was hurt in the incident.

A structural survey of the building is to be carried out.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites