Wiltshire

Homeless man rescued from Trowbridge fire

A homeless man has been rescued from a fire in a derelict building in Wiltshire.

Firefighters were called to the former tyre workshops in Mortimer Street, Trowbridge, soon after 1900 BST on Saturday.

They searched the building and rescued the man from the first floor, a Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said.

He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Watch manager Matthew Maggs, from Trowbridge Fire Station, said that while some people had no choice but to sleep in derelict buildings, smoke detectors would help them get out sooner.

He said homeless packs, which include smoke detectors, are available from the service.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites