Wiltshire

Dilton Marsh house badly damaged by tumble dryer fire

A house in west Wiltshire has been badly damaged by fire.

Emergency services were called to the property at Dilton Marsh, near Westbury, on Friday evening following reports of the blaze.

A Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said it is believed the fire started in a tumble dryer and quickly spread to the first floor and roof.

"No smoke detectors were installed but luckily the occupier managed to escape unharmed," he said.

"Six fire crews attended and the adjoining property was also damaged.

"The fire started in a conservatory at the rear of the property and quickly spread to the first floor and roof, causing extensive damage.

"The cause is under investigation but the fire's believed to have started in a tumble dryer in the conservatory.

"Engineers from Southern Electricity attended to isolate power lines to enable the hydraulic platform to fully extinguish the fire safely," he added.

The nearby A3098 was closed until the early hours of Saturday to allow emergency crews access.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites