Missing Christmas club landlord's 'haunting' farewell

Malcolm Levesconte Malcolm Levesconte's body was found in the English Channel off Dover

Related Stories

A pub landlord found dead at sea after a £29,000 Christmas club savings fund went missing told his partner to "be good, or I'll come back and haunt you" on the night he walked out.

Malcolm Levesconte, boss of the Royal Oak in Shrewton, Wiltshire, jumped to his death from a cross-Channel ferry. His body was found on Christmas Eve.

An inquest held in Salisbury heard the 59-year-old was in debt.

The coroner said Mr Levesconte had drowned and taken his own life.

Mr Levesconte disclosed the level of his debt in a series of notes discovered after his death, the inquest heard.

His partner, Janet Handsley, told police she had seen one of the notes the night before his disappearance, but only read the top line because she found it upsetting.

The next day Mr Levesconte said he was going to speak to somebody who could resolve a financial issue, but he never came back.

The content of the note was not disclosed to the inquest.

'Clearly expressed intentions'

In a statement to police, Ms Handsley said: "About a month ago (before his disappearance) I noticed a change. He hadn't been himself and couldn't sleep properly.

"I last saw him at 5.30pm on 9 December. He went out having said goodbye to me and that he loved me.

The Royal Oak pub, Shrewton in Wiltshire Almost £30,000 was stolen from the pub's thrift club

"He said: 'You'll have to be good or I will come back and haunt you'. At the time I didn't think anything about it."

The letters, found in a bundle with his last will and testament, spoke about his debt to the thrift club.

Coroner Dr Claire Balysz said they were "quite clearly expressing his intentions and the reason he chose to take the course of action".

Dr Balysz read evidence to the court stating how Mr Levesconte was a man with few friends who worked every day in the pub and rarely had any time off.

His partner described how Mr Levesconte would put his own money into the pub, which was leased from Enterprise Inns.

Mr Levesconte had booked a ferry ticket to St Malo, in France, and headed south to the ferry port at Portsmouth on 9 December.

He boarded a shuttle bus on to the ferry, but did not arrive in France. His personal possessions were discovered in his cabin.

His body was discovered two weeks later in the sea off Dover, Kent.

Following Mr Levesconte's death Wiltshire Police said they had been working on the theory that he had been propping up his failing pub business with money from the fund.

More on This Story

Related Stories

BBC Wiltshire



12 °C 6 °C

Features & Analysis

  • French luxury Tea House, Mariage Freres display of tea pots Tea for tu

    France falls back in love with tea - but don't expect a British cuppa

  • Woman in swimming pool Green stuff

    The element that makes a familiar smell when mixed with urine

  • Female model's bottom in leopard skin trousers as she walks up the catwalkBum deal

    Why budget buttock ops can be bad for your health

  • The OfficeIn pictures

    Fifty landmark shows from 50 years of BBC Two

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • ITChild's play

    It's never been easier for small businesses to get their message out to the world


  • An aerial shot shows the Olympic Stadium, which is closed for repair works on its roof, in Rio de Janeiro March 28, 2014.Extra Time Watch

    Will Rio be ready in time to host the Olympics in 2016? The IOC president gives his verdict

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.