Lance Bombardier Richard Jones died after telling wife of affair

A soldier died after telling his wife he had had an affair with a man during their engagement, an inquest has heard.

Colleagues of Lance Bombardier Richard Jones had also suspected he was having a mental breakdown in the days before his death in 2012, Wiltshire and Swindon Coroner's Court was told.

The body of the 23-year-old, of Caerphilly, was found at his Wiltshire home after his wife raised the alarm.

The inquest was told he had accused superiors of hacking his phone.

The soldier from 14 Regiment, Royal Artillery, had shown signs of his breakdown while on a sailing holiday to the Azores with Army colleagues.

During the trip he told his wife Jodie he was being bullied and would lose his job.

Increasing paranoia

Mrs Jones told the hearing he also began sending her odd phone calls and text messages including one which said: "I'm sorry. You deserve better."

After returning home he explained he had been in a relationship with a man before their wedding in 2011.

Mrs Jones told the inquest the couple were having fertility issues, but said her husband had not suffered from any other mental or physical issues before the sailing holiday.

Over the next four days he experienced increasing paranoia and hallucinations, the court heard.

Bombardier Steven Mitchell, a friend, advised Mrs Jones to take her husband to hospital saying he was "suffering from a psychiatric breakdown".

The couple first went to Salisbury District Hospital on 11 October 2012, but later left as they did not believe he would be helped there.

Divorce suggested

They went to see their GP the next day and told him about the claim of infidelity and Lance Bombardier Jones' mental state.

They returned to hospital on 13 October but Lance Bombardier Jones again left without being treated.

Mrs Jones said they had talked and he asked if she wanted a divorce and she had told him "no".

She last spoke to him at about 03:30 on 14 October telling him she would return home early the following morning.

After failing to get him to answer his phone all day Mrs Jones asked colleagues to check on him.

The inquest continues.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites