Jack Rowe Upavon pool death ruled an accident

Jack Rowe, 3, from Upavon, Wiltshire
Image caption It is thought the three-year-old tried to reach into the swimming pool for a toy when he fell in

A toddler who died after he was found at the bottom of his family's swimming pool was probably reaching for a toy when he fell in, an inquest has heard.

Three-year-old Jack Rowe was being looked after by his older brother at their home in Upavon, Wiltshire, on 9 July - the day of his third birthday.

Salisbury Coroner's Court heard Jack had a "fear of water" and was normally reluctant to swim.

His family have called for pool gates to be made a legal requirement.

The court heard how the toddler's mother, Olivia Rowe, had left him in the care of brother Harry while she took her daughter to a school disco.

But while Harry was in the toilet, it is thought Jack tried to reach into the pool for a toy and fell in.

He was later found "unresponsive" and was taken to Southampton General Hospital, but died the following day.

Mrs Rowe described her son as an adventurous, kind little boy, but said he did not frequently use the pool.

"He never went swimming, to get him in you'd have to really bribe him," she said.

"He had no desire to go in on his own so we didn't think there was a possibility that something like that could happen."

A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites