Warning over chemical spill fumes
Firefighters tackling a chemical leak at an industrial estate in Northallerton have warned residents to stay indoors.
Fumes containing a mild irritant leaked from the premises on the Standard Way Industrial Estate following a chemical reaction at 0615 GMT, police said.
A 400m cordon is in place and the nearby A167 has been closed.
Fire officers said there was no risk of harm to the public but nearby residents should take precautions.
They are being told to remain indoors with closed windows.
Police said they were patrolling the area to ensure no motorists or pedestrians stopped there.
They said the road and the industrial estate were due to reopen this afternoon.