York & North Yorkshire

Cross Hills dog deaths due to mole poison

Dogs that died after being walked along a popular Yorkshire footpath died after ingesting mole poison, the RSPCA has said.

The dogs suffered from seizures after being walked on a path off Station Road in Cross Hills near Keighley between 20 and 25 May.

Tests revealed strychnine was responsible for causing the death of the animals.

Anyone with further information has been asked to contact the RSPCA.

Eight dogs were reported to have died after being walked on the footpath.

'Suffered horrendously'

A spokesperson said: "We are very pleased that we now know what is to blame and can begin to investigate where it came from."

At the time of the deaths, the animal charity said the dogs "suffered horrendously".

In a statement, the RSPCA said strychnine was used for controlling moles until it was removed from legal sale in 2006.

Use of the poison on anything other than moles was banned after 1963.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites