Dog-poisoning probe at Burton Riggs Nature Reserve
Dog-walkers in North Yorkshire have been asked to stay away from a nature reserve after three dogs died minutes after being in the area.
Notices warning of the potential risk have been put up by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust at Burton Riggs Nature Reserve at Seamer.
The warning follows the death of eight dogs which died after ingesting poison on a footpath in Cross Hills, Keighley.
The RSPCA said the two sets of deaths were not yet being linked.
Ch Insp Geoff Edmund said: "At the moment, we don't believe the two incidents are connected.
"We're appealing for owners to exercise caution when walking their animals.
"We hope there are no more deaths, but we need to know if there are."
'Started to convulse'
Tests are being carried out at the reserve, which is managed by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.
Duncan Hanson's German shepherd, Riley, died at the end of June after swimming in the lake.
"He collapsed at the side of the bank and he started to convulse, foaming at the mouth."
Colin Richardson also lost his dog, Murphy, at the same site in 2007. He believes his pet ingested strychnine, a poison which was used to control moles.
"I did a bit of research into how Murphy died soon after he died and the only conclusion I can come to is that it was strychnine.
"I think someone is putting strychnine down here without a doubt."
Anyone with information has been asked to contact the RSPCA.