North Yorkshire groups win criminals' cash
Community groups across North Yorkshire have benefited from thousands of pounds seized from criminals.
A total of 14 organisations have shared £25,000 seized from offenders through the Proceeds of Crime Act.
North Yorkshire Police received applications for the cash after it launched its annual "Why should they?" campaign earlier this year.
The cash was available to any community group, project or initiative in the county.
Last year, the force's Financial Investigation Unit took £1.3m off criminals. A percentage of this is used to fund the campaign.
Det Insp Ian Wills said: "We are extremely impressed at the extent of the fantastic work going on in our communities to improve life for local people.
"It is an understatement to say it gives us great pleasure to be able to give something back to help keep these invaluable projects going, especially when the cash has been taken from criminals."
Members of the public are urged to help the campaign by reporting anyone they suspect of living off illegal earnings.
The Ripon Community Link Walled Garden Scheme, which provides work placements to people with learning disabilities, offenders and people with mental health problems, was awarded £2,856.
The Yorebridge Sports Development Association at Askrigg, which is run by volunteers and provides physical activity, leisure and learning facilities, was given £2,637 to buy new equipment.
The other recipients were:
- Joseph Trust Wood and Craft Workshop, York - £2,000
- Space 109 Homework and Cooking Club, Walmgate, York - £2,000
- Riccall Regen Centre, Riccall, Selby - £3,000
- Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue Association Outdoors Club, Grassington - £2,040
- Skipton Street Angels - £250
- 'Birdcage' Behind Closed Doors Yorkshire Community Interest Company Ltd, Skipton - £1,000
- Whitby Musicport - £1,960
- 1st Robin Hood's Bay Scouts - £190.49
- Scarborough and Ryedale Crucial Crew - £ 1,500
- Kids into Cricket, Duncombe Park Juniors Cricket Club - £1,230.70
- North Yorkshire Youth - £2,835.90
- JustB Bereavement Service, Harrogate - £1,500