York & North Yorkshire

Patient set on fire in Scarborough Hospital theatre

A patient undergoing surgery at a hospital in North Yorkshire was set on fire during the procedure when solution used to clean the skin ignited.

Officials at Scarborough Hospital said the incident happened at the site on Monday afternoon.

The unnamed patient was treated for the injury and transferred to Castle Hill Hospital near Hull before being returned to Scarborough.

Hospital officials said they were "very sorry for any pain and distress".

The fire triggered an alarm which saw North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue send about 15 firefighters to the scene but they were not needed.

Liz Booth, director of operations at Scarborough and North East Yorkshire NHS Trust, said: "I can confirm that during a surgical procedure a solution used to clean the skin ignited, causing skin burns to the patient.

"The skin burn was treated immediately and the patient was kept in hospital overnight. As a precaution the patient was transferred to Pinderfields for further assessment and on return was discharged.

"We are extremely sorry for any pain and distress caused to the patient.

"A full investigation commenced within minutes of the incident occurring and a final report will be produced and shared with the family."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites