York & North Yorkshire

Puppy starts Scarborough house fire by jumping on hob

A house fire in Scarborough started because a puppy could not resist temptation and jumped on a cooker to steal some Yorkshire puddings.

The puppy was home alone when it tried to reach the puddings but managed to switch on the hob with its paws.

A pan on the cooker and its contents then caught fire, causing smoke damage. The family discovered the fire on their return.

It is not known if the puppy, which was unharmed, managed to eat the puddings.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites