Northern Ireland

Woman 'critical' after house fire in Aghadowey

fire damaged bungalow
Image caption The fire broke out at a bungalow on the Glenkeen Road in Aghadowey

A woman is critically ill in hospital following a house fire in County Londonderry.

Her husband, who tried to rescue her from the bungalow in Glenkeen Road in Aghadowey was also taken to hospital and is in a stable condition.

Fire Station Commander Charlie McCauley said the woman was unconscious and not breathing when the emergency services arrived.

The woman received oxygen and CPR until she was stable enough to be moved.

"We couldn't find any smoke detection in the house and I would appeal to the public to please get a home fire safety check done and to fit a smoke alarm," said Commander McCauley.

It is understood the bungalow was extensively damaged in the fire.

Investigations are continuing but the Fire and Rescue Service believe the blaze was accidental.