Court tells soldier charged with rape to stay out of NI

A 22-year-old soldier, who is charged with rape, has been released on bail from Londonderry Magistrates Court.

He was bailed on condition that he does not return to Northern Ireland without the court's permission.

The soldier had been remanded in custody on Monday when the judge said he was not prepared to release him to an address in Derry.

On Thursday, the court was told that the Army was prepared to place him at a barracks in England.

District Judge Barney McElholm released the soldier on his own bail of £1,000.

The court was told that the accused would be under the strict control of the Army and that he was agreeable to any bail conditions.

The district judge said that the alleged injured party had a right to know that she was not going to walk into him and therefore he could not return to Northern Ireland without permission.

The soldier was ordered not to contact the injured party, directly or indirectly, and to observe a curfew between 9pm and 8am. He is to appear in court again on 9 December.