Northern Ireland

Men accused over Belfast stabbing remanded in custody

Royal Avenue
Image caption Royal Avenue was sealed off after the stabbing incident

Two men charged with attempted murder have been remanded in custody at Belfast Magistrates' Court.

The charges relate to a stabbing in Belfast city centre on Monday.

A man in his 30s was said to be in a critical condition after he was allegedly attacked near Royal Avenue.

Samuel Robinson, 25, of Agnes Street, Belfast and 18-year-old Stephen Smyth, of Ormeau Centre, Verner Street, also in Belfast appeared in court on Wednesday.

A police officer said she could connect them with the alleged offence and confirmed CCTV footage had been examined as part of the investigation.

A lawyer for Mr Smyth said his client had no knowledge that a knife was used in the incident.

It was also disclosed in court that police are seeking a third person in connection with their inquiries.

Neither of the accused applied for bail and they were remanded in custody to appear in court again later this month.

More on this story