Northern Ireland

Wife of Irvinestown gas death man dies in hospital

House on the Kesh Road
Image caption The couple were overcome by fumes in their Irvinestown home

The wife of a man who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at their County Fermanagh home last week has died in hospital.

Killian Scallon, who was in his 50s, was found dead at a house at Kesh Road, Irvinestown, on Wednesday.

His wife, Pauline, was left critically ill and transferred to hospital. She died at 0330 BST on Tuesday.

Mrs Scallon, who was also in her 50s, was a teacher.

Emergency services were alerted at about 1100 GMT on Wednesday.

Mr Scallon, a well known estate agent, was found dead in the house by relatives.

A post-mortem examination revealed he had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mrs Scallon was taken to the Erne Hospital but later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

Parish priest Fr Michael McGourty, speaking on BBC's Talkback programme, said news of Mrs Scallon's death was "just heart-breaking and beyond words" for the couple's children, Laura and James.

"Our hearts are breaking this morning, because we had that hope that maybe she could overcome the tragedy, but unfortunately it wasn't to be," he said.

"We had heard that she was very critically ill, but we were hoping against hope that she would come through, then sadly this morning, the news broke for us."

Following an examination of the house by forensic scientists, police said they did not believe there were any suspicious circumstances.

It is understand that a blocked chimney flue is the focus of the investigation.

Requiem Mass was held for Mr Scallon at Sacred Heart Church in Irvinestown on Saturday.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites