Northern Ireland

Funeral of Irvinestown gas death widow

House on the Kesh Road
Image caption The couple were overcome by fumes in their Irvinestown home

The funeral of a woman who died after both she and her husband were overcome by fumes in their Fermanagh home is to be held later.

Killian Scallon, who was in his 50s, was found dead at a house at Kesh Road, Irvinestown, on 10 November.

His wife, Pauline, also in her 50s, was left critically ill and transferred to hospital. She died at 0330 BST on Tuesday.

Her funeral mass will be held at Sacred Heart Church in Irvinestown on Friday.

Mr Scallon, a well known estate agent, was found dead in the house by relatives.

A post-mortem examination revealed he had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mrs Scallon was taken to the Erne Hospital but later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

Parish priest Fr Michael McGourty, speaking on BBC's Talkback programme this week, said news of Mrs Scallon's death was "just heart-breaking and beyond words" for the couple's children, Laura and James.

Following an examination of the house by forensic scientists, police said they did not believe there were any suspicious circumstances.

It is understand that a blocked chimney flue is the focus of the investigation.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites