Soldier firing range death inquest delayed
A fresh inquiry into the death of a UDR soldier shot and killed on a Fermanagh firing range almost 40 years ago has been hit by a further legal delay.
The family of Bernard Adamson had expected a new inquest - ordered by the attorney general - to begin on Monday.
The incident was treated as a tragic accident at the time and an inquest in 1972 returned an open verdict.
It has emerged the man who fired the fatal shot is a convicted murderer serving life for an unrelated killing.
Duncan Munro McLuckie is to give evidence to the inquest via videolink from a high security prison in England.
His legal team wanted to prevent the media from reporting his conviction.
On Wednesday, a High Court Judge upheld the coroner's decision not to grant the reporting restriction, but the inquest jury was dismissed after it was indicated the ruling may be appealed.
A new inquest is unlikely to begin until next year.
Mr Adamson's daughter Catherine had travelled from America to give evidence.
Other members of the family, including his widow Patricia, had travelled from Enniskillen to the coroners court in Belfast.
Their solicitor Des Doherty said they were very upset by this new delay. He said it had been a long and emotional journey to get to this stage.