Northern Ireland

Carbon monoxide fumes caused man's death in Irvinestown

A post-mortem examination carried out on a man found dead in County Fermanagh on Wednesday has confirmed that the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.

The victim, who died in Irvinestown, was aged 37 and from Malaysia. His name has still not been released.

Police believe he was overcome by fumes from a generator in the restaurant.

Police Inspector Roy Robinson said there was only one door and no windows in the food store.

It is understood the restaurant had been without power since Monday and a petrol generator was being used to power freezers.

Inspector Robinson said there were a lot of fumes in the building when he went inside.

"You could smell a very strong smell of fumes, there was no ventilation in the store apart from a door at the entrance," he said.

"I think the generator had been moved into the store - it had been outside it earlier on.

"It was one of those portable generators and it was taken within the store and with no ventilation and it running, it was going to create a lot of fumes."

Two weeks ago, a well-known couple in Irvinestown, Killian and Pauline Scallon, were fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home.

The toxic gas also killed two teenagers in August.

Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson died at a holiday apartment in Castlerock.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites