Northern Ireland

West Belfast assault accused banned from area

Two teenagers charged over disturbances in west Belfast which led to a man being seriously assaulted have been banned from returning to the area.

John Paul Delaney and Stephen Kelly, both 18, have each been charged with affray following the trouble in the Ballymurphy area on Sunday.

A man suffered serious facial injuries during an alleged attack at his Glenalina Park home.

Mr Kelly, of Glenalina Road, is also charged with causing criminal damage.

He appeared at Belfast Magistrates' Court alongside Mr Delaney, of Westrock Gardens in the city.

A police officer said bail had been agreed on certain conditions.

The suspects, who went to police voluntarily, are to live at undisclosed locations and barred from entering part of west Belfast.

They are also prohibited from contacting the alleged victim, witnesses or each other.

Curfew and electronic tagging conditions were imposed as well.

The officer said the restrictions had been sought due to the sensitivity of the case.

Mr Delaney and Mr Kelly were released on bail to appear again next month.