Northern Ireland

Newspaper review: NI and Republic of Ireland stories

Newspapers

Journalist Keith Baker takes a look at what is making the headlines in Monday's newspapers.

According to the News Letter, some good news on Monday for people who saved with the Presbyterian Mutual Society.

Apparently they could be reimbursed as early as June.

This news comes from First Minister Peter Robinson who says a £225m rescue package agreed by the Assembly will be available to the administrators within a week.

The News Letter also talks to Ian McGimpsey who led the campaign on behalf of members of the troubled society.

He said this news came out of the blue and he is overjoyed.

On the front page of the Irish News there are pictures of the six men who were shot dead in the Loughinisland massacre 17 years ago.

The paper has something new to report.

It says it can reveal the existence of an eye-witness who claims that within hours of the attack she provided the police with a detailed description of the getaway driver but her evidence was never acted upon.

And she says she found the getaway car herself under a tarpaulin at the home of a policeman, despite claims that it had been destroyed.

The paper says it is five years since the Police Ombudsman began looking into allegations of major failures in the RUC investigation.

But the report remains unpublished and no-one has ever been convicted of the killings.

Kylie Watson is pictured widely in the newspapers.

Lance Corporal Watson, an army medic from Ballymena, is getting the Military Cross for bravery in Afghanistan.

"Kylie Commended" is the headline in the Mirror.

There are comments from her proud parents and the papers themselves.

The Mirror says her steel and fortitude are an example to us all.

The News Letter says she is a courageous role model.

But it also draws attention to Lance Corporal Stephen McKee whose funeral took place at the weekend.

It says we can look to both these young people with pride and determination and those thoughts are echoed in the Belfast Telegraph.

Ed Miliband is under fire in the London papers.

Or Edward Miliband. The Mail says that is what his advisers are insisting he should be called because they are worried he is being overshadowed by the other Ed.

There is a debate about whether he was right to address the big TUC rally on Saturday.

The Mail's political commentator asks - what did he think he was doing?

Storage cupboard

The Guardian says he was right to take part. The Independent says the orderly nature of the main rally vindicated his decision.

But the Daily Telegraph didn't like what he had to say. It says comparing the cuts to the struggle against apartheid was "a grotesque piece of hyperbole".

Finally, no doubt many politicians would like to follow the example of the US Vice President Joe Biden, as reported in the Daily Telegraph.

At a Democratic fund-raising event in Florida, his staff forced a journalist into a storage cupboard to prevent him interviewing anybody.

Scott Powers of the Orlando Sentinel was the designated pool reporter covering the event at the home of a wealthy developer, but Mr Biden's aides decided he was entitled to hear the vice president's speech and nothing else. So they kept him in the cupboard for 75 minutes.

Now I've been digging out a bit more and it seems this little bit of internment backfired.

Mr Powers had his phone with him so he took a picture of his holding cell and emailed it to his editors who immediately posted it on the Orlando Sentinel website with his comment - "Sounds like a nice party".

As one website says, he did this while he was Biden his time.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites