Northern Ireland

Lurgan hoaxes: 14-year-old in court over bomb alerts

A 14-year-old boy accused of causing hoax security alerts in Lurgan has appeared in court.

The boy was charged with four counts of placing an article causing a bomb hoax.

Craigavon Magistrates' Court heard on Thursday that the alerts had cause widespread disruption and had tied up considerable security resources, including a police helicopter.

The boy was granted bail, but will be electronically tagged and subject to a curfew until next month.

A detective told the court that one alert had caused "mayhem" after a hoax device was placed at the door of a busy pub.

The boy was identified on CCTV footage from that same pub by three separate police officers, he said.

Officers had also spoken to the boy in the area of the pub that evening.

The detective said they had arrested the boy on Wednesday afternoon on the basis of information received earlier in the week.

When the boy's mobile phone was seized, it contained "seven or eight" images of devices very similar to, or the same as, those which had caused the alerts, the court heard.

The boy made no comment during police interviews. He is due to appear in court again next month.