Newry alert ends after PSNI say 'nothing was found'

The alert is causing delays for traffic in Newry The alert caused delays for traffic in Newry

Related Stories

A security alert in Newry, County Down has ended.

The alert started at about 1400 BST on Monday after a caller to a newspaper said a bomb had been left in the city.

An area between the courthouse and an old mill was cordoned off while Army bomb experts carried out a search. Nothing was found.

The alert caused disruption for motorists after a number of roads were closed.

A number of buildings, including the courthouse, were evacuated. Some commercial premises in the Sand Mills industrial estate were also cleared.

The PSNI said all roads in the city have reopened.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Stained glass of man with swordFrance 1 England 0

    The most important battle you have probably never heard of


  • Golden retriever10 things

    Dogs get jealous, and nine more nuggets from the week's news


  • Pro-Israel demonstrators shout slogans while protesting in Berlin - 25 July 2014Holocaust guilt

    Gaza conflict leaves Germans confused over who to support


  • The emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-SabahFreedoms fear

    Growing concern for rights as Kuwait revokes citizenships


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • CastleRoyal real estate

    No longer reserved for kings and queens, some find living in a castle simply divine

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.