Northern Ireland

Police investigating Tyrone Ladies GAA fracas

Man lying on football pitch
Image caption A GAA official was knocked to the ground after going to the aid of the referee

A criminal investigation is ongoing into an alleged assault at a Tyrone ladies GAA match last month.

Two men have been banned for life from attending Tyrone GAA ladies games and the Carrickmore club fined following a fracas at the Tyrone senior final.

The referee and an official were allegedly assaulted after the final between St Macartan's and Carrickmore.

Police have said they are investigatING a complaint of assault made by one person.

The game was held at Beragh last month.

Tyrone Ladies GFA said a Carrickmore fan had allegedly assaulted the referee and a Carrickmore Ladies GFA official allegedly assaulted the Tyrone Ladies GFA chairman.

Match referee Simon Brady and Tyrone Ladies GFA chairman Martin Conway were stretchered off minutes after the end of the final on 24 June.

In a statement issued on Friday, the Tyrone Ladies GFA said it had instigated a "robust inquiry and full investigation" into the incidents.

Referee assaulted

"The results of the investigation were outlined to a full county board meeting last night and the following penalties were imposed," statement said.

"An individual, reportedly a Carrickmore supporter, was identified as the person who allegedly assaulted match referee Simon Brady.

"The county board issued him with a lifetime ban from any involvement in or with Ladies Gaelic football, this includes attendance at ladies fixtures in the future. He was not a member of the Ladies GFA.

"A second individual, confirmed as part of the Carrickmore management team and a member of the Ladies GFA, was identified as the person who allegedly assaulted the Tyrone Ladies GFA chairman Martin Conway.

"Once again a life ban was imposed in accordance with the ladies football official guide. The Carrickmore club were also handed a substantial fine."

The Tyrone Ladies GFA said it commended those who carried out and assisted with the investigation and thanked both clubs for the manner in which they co-operated fully with the enquiry.

"It has been a difficult time for the Ladies game in Tyrone but the focus now is on pulling together ahead of Sunday's Ulster senior ladies football final with Tyrone up against Monaghan at Clones," the GFA said.

In a statement to the meeting, Carrickmore condemned the incidents and wished the two injured parties a speedy recovery and return to their duties.

More on this story