Northern Ireland

Marian Price charged over murder of Massereene soldiers

Patrick Azimkar and Mark Quinsey
Image caption Patrick Azimkar and Mark Quinsey were murdered in March 2009

A prominent republican has been charged in connection with the murders of two soldiers in Antrim in March 2009.

Marian Price - also known by her married name Marian McGlinchey - has been charged with providing property for the purposes of terrorism.

The charge is related to the murders of Sappers Patrick Azimkar and Mark Quinsey at Massereene barracks.

On Friday, a lawyer said no new evidence has been produced to link republican Marian Price to the charge.

He said the 57-year-old was first questioned 18 months ago about allegations of supplying a phone.

Peter Corrigan also said a legal bid will be made to have the case against her thrown out as an abuse of process.

She was charged by summons earlier this month, a relatively new process in Northern Ireland, rather than at court on Friday.

The soldiers were shot dead outside their base as they collected a pizza delivery.

Two men are due to stand trial accused of their murders later this year.

Ms Price, who is also known by her married name Marian McGlinchy, is in custody following the revocation of her release on licence.

She was convicted for being involved in the IRA bombing of the Old Bailey in 1973, but has been critical of Sinn Fein in recent years.

Three witnesses

She was expected to appear before Belfast Magistrates Court for a preliminary enquiry on Friday.

But she was not produced after it emerged that her defence team want to cross-examine three witnesses, including two senior detectives, as part of their challenge to the case against her.

A date for the day-long committal hearing is expected to be fixed next month.

Mr Corrigan told the court an abuse of process application will also be mounted.

He said: "The defendant was originally questioned in relation to these matters in November 2009. That's 18 months ago.

"No new evidence has been adduced since that date."

The solicitor detailed how his client's previous release from prison was subsequently revoked by the secretary of state.

He claimed the allegations which formed part of the new charge against her were linked to that decision.

A hearing into the revocation of her licence is due to take place in August, the court was told.

District Judge Fiona Bagnall ordered that the case be listed again for August 5.

At that stage Ms Price is expected to appear via video-link.

More on this story