Northern Ireland

Children hurt in Rathcoole canister explosion

Four children are being treated in hospital for minor injuries after a gas canister exploded in a fire they had lit in Rathcoole.

It is understood that they threw the small canister into the fire before it blew up at 16:20 BST on Wednesday.

The children, all aged 12, suffered burns to their heads, faces and necks.

John McPoland from the Ambulance Service said the youths would not have been aware of the dangerous consequences of their actions.

"It is incumbent upon parents to educate their children that firstly they shouldn't be lighting fires and secondly they shouldn't be throwing anything on to it that they don't know the contents of."

The youths have been taken to the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children and their conditions are not life threatening.