Northern Ireland

Petrol bombs thrown at police after Apprentice Boys' parade

The van was completely destroyed in the attack
Image caption The van was completely destroyed in the attack

Three vehicles were hijacked and petrol bombs were thrown at police in Londonderry after the city's annual Apprentice Boys' Parade.

A mother and her daughter were dragged from their car near Creggan Street after violence broke out on Saturday.

A car was set alight in Fahan Street, a van was hijacked on Lecky Road and petrol bombs were thrown at the Memorial Hall.

Three men aged, 18, 19 and 24 have been charged over the disorder.

They are due to appear at Londonderry Magistrates Court on 9 September.

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said the violence was "completely unacceptable".

"I challenge those who were behind this to come out and try and defend the incidents that occurred in our city yesterday," he added.

"Let them stand over a mother and daughter being dragged from their car in Creggan and other people's livelihoods being destroyed with work vans being burnt."

Dozens of extra police officers in riot gear were drafted in to deal with the ongoing disturbances and at least 10 people, including a 13-year-old boy, were arrested.

A pipe bomb was thrown at officers and exploded at Free Derry Corner.

Minister at First Derry Presbyterian Church, David Latimer, witnessed some of the trouble and said he was disappointed by the disturbances.

Property destroyed

"Anything that people want to do has to be done peacefully," he said.

"There is no progress that can be made in any positive or meaningful way by bringing people onto the streets and seeking to destroy property. It is wrong."

Sinn Fein Foyle MLA, Raymond McCartney said the violence was "totally wrong".

"It was anti-community and there can be no justification for it," he said.

"It was very clear that this orgy of violence was orchestrated by those who had absolutely no regard for the people of the area or the wider Derry public."

Police maintained a heavy police presence in the area.

More than 10,000 people travelled to the city for the annual Apprentice Boys' parade.

One hundred-and-forty bands marched through the city centre, amid tight security. The parade was the culmination of this year's week-long Maiden City Festival.

Dissident republicans staged protests against the loyal order demonstration throughout the day. Minor disorder broke out on Shipquay Street when a number of police officers were pushed and kicked.

Petrol bombs

Earlier on Saturday another van was attacked on Madamsbank Road in the Shantallow area of the city.

Four masked men threw petrol bombs into the post office van and ran off. The blaze was put out by firefighters.

The trouble followed an attack on the the Apprentice Boys' Memorial Hall on Friday night. Several dozen petrol bombs were thrown in the direction of the building from the Bogside, according to police.

Image caption Protesters clashed with police on Shipquay Street

The first of the day's parades took place on Saturday morning without incident. Local Apprentice Boys completed a circuit of the city's walls ahead of the main parade.

Speaking before the trouble the Governor of the Apprentice Boys, Jim Brownlee, said he hoped the protests planned by republicans would not disrupt the day.

"We respect that right to protest and we hope those protests are peaceful, and we hope the two events, both ourselves - in terms of the parade - and those protests, can pass off peacefully and everybody can get on with their business," he said.

Meanwhile, a contentious feeder parade passed off without incident in north Belfast on Saturday morning.

A number of protesters held placards as the Apprentice Boys passed the Ardoyne shops amid tight security.

More on this story