Northern Ireland

East Belfast and Ballyclare riots: pictures of suspects released

Youths rioting in front of fire
Image caption Rioting occurred in east Belfast and Ballyclare in June and July

Police have released images of people they want to question over rioting in east Belfast in June and July and Ballyclare on 9 July.

In June, petrol bombs, missiles and fireworks were thrown at police lines during the worst violence in east Belfast for a decade.

The rioting in Ballyclare started after police removed loyalist flags.

Assistant Chief Constable Alistair Finlay said he hoped the public would help police with their investigations.

"We have had a very positive response from members of the public to our appeals so far and are now releasing the images as part of the next proportionate step in the investigation," he said.

"I'm hopeful that the wider community will help us identify these individuals whom we'd like to talk to in connection with ongoing investigations into these very serious incidents.

"The public disorder over this period wreaked havoc on local people and local communities. It is in everybody's interest - as well as in the interest of justice - that those responsible are dealt with appropriately."

On Thursday, police will release images of suspects they want to question over rioting in north and west Belfast on 11 and 12 July.

In all pictures of 28 people will be released.

Anyone with information is asked to contact detectives at the Public Order Enquiry Team on 02890 259232 or contact Crimestoppers and speak to them anonymously on 0800 555 111.

More on this story