Northern Ireland

Father and son attacked in their home by men wielding weapons

A father and son were attacked at their west Belfast home by men wielding a machete, metal baton and knife, a court has been told.

The claim was made when two of the accused appeared in Belfast Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Connor Maskey, 19, of Bingnian Drive; and Alan Stanley, 20, of Ladybrook Park, both in Belfast, are each charged with two counts of attempted murder and possession of an offensive weapon.

The judge refused bail.

The court heard the younger victim, aged in his 20s, suffered a back wound and severed tendon when his elbow was cut to the bone.

His father, believed to be a 59-year-old man, received head cuts inflicted by the weapons.

It was claimed that Mr Maskey, a university student, brandished a baton during the attack at Stewartstown Avenue on Saturday morning.

Mr Stanley, who appeared in the dock with serious facial wounds, is accused of carrying a machete to the scene.

Opposing bail for both accused, a detective constable said: "It was a premeditated incident. They got in a taxi and armed themselves on the way to the address."

No further information was given about the trial incident which was allegedly referred to during the attack.

Mr Maskey's solicitor, Fergal McElhatton, argued that there was no suggestion of any interference with witnesses in the case.

A lawyer for Mr Stanley claimed there had been death threats made against members of his client's family.

He argued that it was not a random attack on people at home watching television.

However, District Judge Fiona Bagnall refused bail to both accused due to the risk of re-offending or witness interference.

They were remanded in custody to appear again by video-link next month.