Northern Ireland

£4.4m National Lottery jackpot claimed by County Down ticket holder

National Lottery machine
Image caption Mystery still surrounds the identity of the £4.4m winner, who bought the ticket in County Down

The search for the winner of a £4.4m National Lottery jackpot is over after the holder of the ticket, bought in Northern Ireland, claimed the prize.

The winning ticket was bought in County Down more than three months ago, but the owner has only now come forward to make their claim, Camelot has said.

The lottery operator said no further information about the winner could be released at this stage, unless they decide to opt for full publicity.

The ticket was bought on 2 June.

Camelot had issued a number of appeals about the jackpot, when the winner did not make contact with them in the weeks after the draw.

The deadline for claiming the £4,392,003 prize was due to expire on 29 November, 2012.

'Life-changing'

A National Lottery spokesperson said: "We're delighted that the winner of this amazing jackpot prize has now come forward and we hope that they will enjoy their win.

"It would have been awful if the ticket-holder had missed out on this substantial and life-changing amount of money."

The jackpot was the second of three large, outstanding lottery prizes - all won by tickets bought in Northern Ireland - to be claimed within 48 hours.

On Monday, Camelot confirmed that a prize worth £73,263, won in the draw which took place on 11 August, had been claimed.

The ticket was bought in County Armagh and matched five numbers and the bonus ball.

However, the National Lottery operator said the winner had declined publicity so no further information about their identity could be released.

Camelot is still searching for a mystery millionaire who won a £1m raffle prize in the EuroMillions draw on Friday, 3 August, 2012.

Deadline

The winner ticket, raffle number GCR760097, was bought in the Fermanagh-South Tyrone area.

The ticket holder has until Wednesday 30 January, 2013, to claim the prize.

If no-one comes forward before the deadline, then the money will be donated to charity through the National Lottery Good Causes.

In August, a couple from Ballymena who won more than £2m in the Euromillions draw agreed to full publicity when they picked up their cheque.

Paddy and Gail Millar won the money on Friday 10 August as a result of a mix-up over a family birthday.

Paddy put his wife's age down as 48 instead of 49 when choosing his numbers and described it as "the best mistake I've made in my life".

More on this story