British favoured closing Aghalane Bridge

Public Record Office in Belfast The Public Record Office in Belfast has released new files

The British security forces had no desire to see the reopening of the Aghalane Bridge, a major link between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, according to newly-released documents from the Public Record Office in Belfast.

The bridge on the main Enniskillen to Cavan road was blown up in November 1972, prompting a letter from the local Nationalist MP, John Carron, to Lord Windlesham, Minister of State at the Northern Ireland Office.

Mr Carron said that the cross-border bridge served the whole western side of Northern Ireland.

He said its closure would hit "the only source of employment in the area, mainly local sand and gravel companies which traded with the Republic".

In a note for the minister on 12 December, 1972, an official, W J Foster, referred to the "political aspect" of the issue.

"The Protestant community of this area are in constant fear of raiders from across the border," he said.

"They have already suffered loss of life and damage to property.

"Irrespective of who destroyed the bridge, … they will view its restoration with suspicion."

This was likely to be shared by the (unionist-controlled) Fermanagh County Council which was unlikely to wish to repair the bridge.

However, if the official view favoured its restoration, he suggested seeking Irish Army agreement to erect a Bailey bridge over the border at Aghalane.


Subsequently, the issue was raised by Lord Kilbracken, an Irish peer in the House of Lords.

In the end, the road was reopened when a temporary bridge was erected from the County Cavan side.

However, later in December, 1972, a bomb exploded in nearby Belturbet, County Cavan, killing two teenagers, Geraldine O'Reilly and Patrick Stanley.

Captain John Brooke, unionist Chief Whip and Chairman of Fermanagh County Council blamed Lord Kilbracken and Cavan County Council for the deaths.

He alleged that they had "reopened the bridge", thereby giving "easy access for terrorists".

It is clear from the file that the security forces in Northern Ireland had no desire to see the cross-border road reopened.

On 27 December, 1972, Lieutenant-Colonel A T P Millen had noted that "the destruction" of Aghalane Bridge "suits us well in that it closes a route frequently used by Republic-based terrorists".

The temporary bridge was subsequently blown up, closing the main Enniskillen-Dublin road for several decades.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Northern Ireland stories


Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • The AmericansThe good guys?

    A US TV show examining the Cold War is offering a radical revision of history, writes Eric Kohn


  • A person wears a mask at the Vevcani Carnival in MacedoniaThe Travel Show Watch

    The masked Balkan carnival attracting thousands to the streets of Vevcani

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.