Northern Ireland

Friends freeze to death in Dublin flat

The pair were found at a senior citizens complex in Dublin
Image caption The pair were found at a senior citizens complex in Dublin

A Northern Ireland woman and her friend, whose bodies were found in a Dublin flat, died from the cold.

The results of post-mortem examinations on the bodies of John Glennon (67) and Debbie McEvoy (63) have not yet been made public.

But it is understood the cause of death was hypothermia, along with ongoing health problems.

It is understood Ms McEvoy was originally from Newry in County Down.

The two friends were found lying together on the floor of Mr Glennon's flat in a sheltered housing unit at the Drumalee Court complex in Stoneybatter on Monday.

They were found by police on Monday after officers were alerted by health board officials, who became concerned when they were unable to make contact with the two.

There was no heat on in the house when the bodies were found.

'Regular visitor'

Rose Reel, Ms McEvoy's sister, told the Irish Independent newspaper that the family was trying to get to grips with what had happened.

"We're all in shock. We can't get our heads around it," she said.

Ms McEvoy, had an address in Cabra but is understood to have been a regular visitor to Mr Glennon's home.

Initially, it was thought that the pair had been victims of carbon monoxide poisoning but an investigation by Bord Gais quickly ruled out the possibility of a gas leak and further inquiries indicated that the gas had not been connected to the flat for some time.

A forensic examination of the scene was also carried out by police and found nothing unusual.

Mr Glennon, who is originally from County Offaly, had lived in the local authority complex for about seven years.

Police will complete an investigation file for the Dublin City Coroner and an inquest will be held.