Northern Ireland

Three men bailed in terrorism probe in Londonderry

Three men have appeared in court in Londonderry on charges related to terrorism offences at an Easter commemoration ceremony in the city last year.

The men, aged 50, 42, and 27, are charged with assisting in arranging a meeting addressed by a member of a proscribed organisation.

The alleged offences took place at a 32 County Sovereignty Movement rally in the city cemetery on 9 April 2012.

All three men were released on bail.

Appearing in Londonderry Magistrates Court on Friday, were Ciaran Anthony Boyle, 27, from the Meadows, Gary Donnelly, 42, from Iniscairn Road in the Creggan and 50-year-old Anthony Lancaster from Circular Road.

A detective sergeant told deputy district judge Mervyn Bates that in relation to Mr Donnelly, the police case was that he was seen ushering a masked man at the rally into a gazebo.

He said Mr Boyle was seen unfurling an Irish tricolour and walking out of a row of masked men.

The court heard that Mr Lancaster had given a statement to police to say that the only meeting he had organised was on behalf of the 32 County Sovereignty Movement.

Bail conditions

The court was also told that a number of other people arrested in connection with the same commemoration rally were later released without charge.

Bail was granted with a several conditions.

All three men were ordered to sign in at Strand Road Police station in Londonderry on Easter Monday at 15:00 GMT and 21:00 GMT.

They were also banned from attending any meeting, protest or event organised by the 32 Sovereignty Movement or any group acting on behalf of the IRA or any illegal organisation.

They were released on bail of £900 with a surety of £900 pounds.

All three men will appear in court again in April.