Parade protests will include 'civil disobedience', says Orangeman
- 5 October 2013
- From the section Northern Ireland
Protests over a contentious Orange Order parade will be increased "right up to civil disobedience", according to a senior Orangeman in Belfast.
William Mawhinney was speaking at a protest over restrictions to a 12 July parade in the north of the city.
That parade was stopped returning along part of the Crumlin Road separating loyalist and nationalist communities. Several nights of violence ensued.
Mr Mawhinney said any "civil disobedience" would be peaceful.
The County Grand Secretary in Belfast was addressing a crowd of about 500 people on the Woodvale Road on Saturday.
He said the parade protests will be "up-scaled... right up to civil disobedience if that's what it takes".
He added: "The camp and the protests continue as strongly as they ever did from when they first began."
Mr Mawhinney was flanked by a number of politicians, including Nelson McCausland of the Democratic Unionist Party.
There is a large security operation in place on the Woodvale Road and at the interface between Twaddell Avenue and Ardoyne shops on the Crumlin Road.
More than 40 police vehicles are in the area.
The Orange Order has been staging a protest in the Woodvale area every Saturday since its parade was stopped earlier this year.