Anti-internment march: Minor trouble amid tight security in Belfast

Some of the anti-internment marchers heading towards Belfast city centre Some of the anti-internment marchers heading towards Belfast city centre

Related Stories

There has been minor trouble at a loyalist protest against a republican anti-internment rally in Belfast.

The march began at about 13:00 BST in the north of the city and passed through Belfast's main shopping district.

Loyalists staged demonstrations against the parade that marks the anniversary of internment in August 1971.

A small number of protesters threw fireworks, plastic bottles and coins at the parade. No-one was injured.

At the same event last year, 56 officers were injured when loyalists protesters attacked the police.

Police vehicles separated the parade from the protest on Sunday Police vehicles separated the parade from the protest on Sunday

This year's republican march was organised by the Anti-Internment League, to mark the introduction of detention without trial during the height of the Troubles.

The league told the Parades Commission that it expected 4,000 people to take part in the march, with a similar number of supporters.

There was a large police presence around the Castle Court shopping centre There was a large police presence around the Castle Court shopping centre

The rally began at Ardoyne Avenue in the north of the city, before heading towards the city centre.

A group of about 200 loyalists staged a protest, and trouble erupted as the parade passed Castlecourt shopping centre.

BBC NI reporter Mark Simpson said a small number of the protesters threw some missiles.

"The loyalists claimed that the republicans had taunted them about IRA atrocities including the Shankill bomb and the Enniskillen bomb.

"The city centre has now returned to normal."

Many roads in the city centre were closed to traffic during the parade.

Belfast's main shopping district, ahead of a republican march and loyalist protest at lunchtime Belfast's main shopping district, ahead of a republican march and loyalist protest at lunchtime
Water cannon was brought into Belfast city centre during the security operation on Sunday Water cannon was brought into Belfast city centre during the security operation on Sunday

Loyalist protesters had applied to stage two counter-demonstrations against the march.

The Parades Commission has placed restrictions on the number of loyalists permitted to attend the protests, limiting them to total of 400 people at two demonstration points.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More Northern Ireland stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • FutureThe future is now

    Get the latest updates and biggest ideas from BBC Future’s World-Changing Ideas Summit

Programmes

  • Smart glassesClick Watch

    Smart spectacles go into battle – the prototypes looking to take on Google Glass

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.