Northern Ireland

Sleeping man rescued from chip pan fire in Rosemount, Londonderry

NIFRS
Image caption The fire service confirmed a chip pan was left unattended in the house

A man who was asleep when a chip pan fire started at his home in Londonderry has been rescued by a passer-by.

The blaze began at a flat in Meadow View Crescent in the Rosemount area of Londonderry at about 19:00 GMT on Wednesday.

A man walking his dog noticed the kitchen was on fire and a person was lying asleep on the sofa.

He tried to waken the resident and called the fire brigade.

The passer-by alerted a neighbour and the pair forced entry into the property and extinguished the flames with a blanket.

The fire service confirmed a chip pan was left unattended in the house. Three fire appliances attended the scene.

The resident was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.