Northern Ireland

Randalstown murder: Police arrest two people

Forensic investigators at the scene of the murder Image copyright Justin Kernoghan - BBC buyout
Image caption The man was stabbed on the Caddy Road, Randalstown, where police have been carrying out investigations

Two people have been arrested over the murder of the owner of a Chinese restaurant in County Antrim.

The 65-year-old and his wife, 57, had been driving along the Caddy Road, Randalstown, when their vehicle was forced off the road.

The couple were then attacked and money stolen. The man died from stab wounds.

His wife managed to raise the alarm at a nearby house. Police said they were not yet in a position to reveal the couple's name.

Det Ch Inspt Eamonn Corrigan said the police received a 999 call at about 12:10 GMT on Thursday after the woman ran for help.

"The woman had suffered wounds to her hands and head," he said.

"When police arrived at the scene a short time later, they discovered the body of her husband."

The woman underwent surgery but her injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Mr Corrigan said the couple, who owned a restaurant in Randalstown, had been forced off the road by two other vehicles.

Image copyright Pacemaker
Image caption Forensic investigators have examined a car as part of their inqiuries

"Police have arrested two people in connection with this murder and robbery, a woman aged 31 and a man aged 29. Both are being questioned by detectives at present and there is no suspicion of a hate motivation," he said.

"I would appeal for information from the public, specifically anyone who saw vehicles moving along Caddy Road between 11:30pm on Wednesday night and 1pm on Thursday morning.

"I am also interested in speaking with anyone who may have noticed a black Seat Toledo car, registration number OE62 FRF, in the Randalstown area from around 9pm to midnight on Wednesday 07 January."

The Caddy Road remains closed while forensic examinations are continuing.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionTrevor Clarke MLA said local people were horrified at the news

More on this story