Northern Ireland Assembly sells Ormiston House for £1.5m
The Northern Ireland Assembly has sold Ormiston House for just over £1.5m, a building it bought for £9m in 2001.
The assembly bought the 19th century property in east Belfast to provide extra office accommodation.
However, it was later deemed unfit for that purpose and was costing an estimated £400 a day to secure and maintain.
The grade B listed building is understood to have been bought by a local businessman.
It was previously owned by the shipbuilder Sir Edward Harland, who lived there until 1887.
It was then acquired by his business partner William Pirrie, who later became the chairman of Harland & Wolff.
Shortly after Lord Pirrie's death in 1924, Harland and Wolff came into sole ownership of the property, selling it in 1928 to Campbell College, which held it until the mid-1970s.
In 2001, the assembly bought it from the Police Authority, the predecessor of the Northern Ireland Policing Board.