Northern Ireland

Tomas Hornay convicted of murdering Luis Ximines in Dungannon

Tomas Hornay Image copyright Pacemaker
Image caption Tomas Hornay has been remanded into a secure mental health unit in south Belfast and will be sentenced later

A man who said he stabbed his friend to death because he heard "voices" telling him to do it has been found guilty of murder.

Tomas Hornay attacked Luis Nazario Ximines with two kitchen knives at the house they shared in Dungannon, County Tyrone on 1 August 2013.

Both men were originally from East Timor but were working in Dungannon and living at the house in Woodvale Park.

Hornay has been remanded into a secure mental health unit in south Belfast.

The 36-year-old defendant has been held in custody at the Shannon Clinic - Northern Ireland's only secure mental health facility - since he was transferred from prison in November 2013.

He had already pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Ximines, but that plea was not accepted by prosecution.

On Friday, the jury at Dungannon Crown Court deliberated for 75 minutes before returning their unanimous decision that Hornay had murdered his friend and housemate.

'Increasingly angry'

During the trial, the court heard evidence that Hornay told doctors he heard "several voices" telling him to kill his friend after the victim insulted his wife.

It was alleged Mr Ximines made sexually derogatory comments about Hornay's wife after the defendant "inadvertently" left a photograph of her visible on a computer.

Consultant forensic psychiatrist Dr Adrian East, who leads the Shannon Clinic, told the court that Hornay described being distressed and angered by the insults.

Dr East adding that in the month leading up to the fatal attack, Hornay was not able to sleep as he "spent all night thinking" about Mr Ximines.

"He stated that over that period he wanted to kill the deceased and he went onto say that he was experiencing several voices telling him to kill the deceased," said the psychiatrist.

On the day of the killing, Hornay told doctors he was getting ready to go to work at Moy Park but became "increasingly angry and began formulating a plan to harm the deceased" because "he couldn't take it any more."

The court heard Mr Ximines was asleep in the house when Hornay armed himself with two kitchen knives, mixed chilli seeds in some water and threw the mixture into his victim's face.

He stabbed him about the neck and chest, causing fatal injuries.

Sentencing was adjourned until 27 March, to allow for further medical and probation reports.

Related Topics