Northern Ireland

Ballyclare fire: Man dies after blaze at house

Brian Heaney Image copyright Taken from Facebook
Image caption Brian Heaney died following the fire

The 22-year-old man who died following a fire at a house in Ballyclare, County Antrim, has been named locally as Brian Heaney.

Firefighters were called to the house at Rashee Park shortly after 22:20 GMT on Sunday.

It is believed the fire had started in a bedroom.

Neighbours saw smoke and dialled 999. One ran into the flat and dragged Mr Heaney out. Despite giving him CPR, paramedics could not save him.

He died in hospital a short time later.

Police say the fire is not believed to be suspicious.

The man who dragged Mr Heaney out of the building was treated in hospital for smoke inhalation.

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service area commander Colin Dickson said it was a courageous act to enter the house.

"The person did put himself in serious risk and should be commended for his bravery," he said.

"He was able to assist the person from the house on fire.

"Unfortunately that man tragically died later and the young gentleman who performed the rescue ended up in hospital himself."