Northern Ireland

Man shot in face in Belfast attack

A police cordon is in place at the scene of the shooting Image copyright BBC (Megan McKay)
Image caption A police cordon is in place at the scene of the shooting in St James Mews

A man shot in the face in a gun attack in north Belfast has been discharged from hospital.

It happened in St James Mews, off the Antrim Road, at about 21:00 BST on Sunday. Police said two men entered a house and attacked the victim.

Police are treating it as attempted murder.

ACC Stephen Martin told BBC Radio Ulster: "He has quite severe injuries, I think he has several fractures."

'Unacceptable'

The officer appealed for anyone with information about the attack to come forward.

The Irish News has reported that the victim had been under threat from dissident republicans.

During his interview with Good Morning Ulster, ACC Martin was asked if the police investigation was focused on any particular group.

"It's early days, but what I would move to reassure people is, we don't at this stage see anything that would make us think it's a sectarian motivation," the officer replied.

"We have to condemn this type of activity. Seventeen years after the all-party agreement - the Good Friday Agreement - this type of behaviour is just unacceptable."