Northern Ireland

Paul McCauley murder: pair arrested last year interviewed again

Paul McCauley Image copyright Family
Image caption Police investigating the murder of Paul McCauley are questioning two men

Detectives investigating the murder of Paul McCauley in Londonderry are questioning two men.

The suspects, aged 27 and 28, were arrested and released on police bail last year.

They are now being re-interviewed at Strand Road police station.

Applications for warrants of further detention in respect of both individuals were approved by a court on Wednesday.

Mr McCauley died in June 2015 in a care facility, almost nine years after he was attacked at a barbeque in 2006.

He was attending a summer BBQ at the rear of a house in Chapel Road on 15 July that year.

At 3.20 GMT on 16 July, only three people remained at the BBQ.

A number of individuals came out from the bushes and attacked Paul and two of his friends. After the assault the group made off in the direction of Irish Street.

The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Michael Harvey, said: "This investigative activity brings the number of detentions since Paul's death last year to 16.

"One person has been charged with murder and another individual has been reported to the public prosecution service.

"We said after Paul died that this investigation would take on a renewed momentum and this momentum is continuing.

"Detectives are available to speak with anyone who decides they want to talk to us. Even after almost 10 years, it is not too late to do the right thing and come forward."

More on this story