Northern Ireland

Mohsin Bhatti death: Ahmed Noor admits Belfast manslaughter

Mohsin Bhatti Image copyright other
Image caption Mohsin Bhatti was stabbed a number of times and died on Belfast's Botanic Avenue

A man has admitted killing another man who died in south Belfast as a result of multiple stab wounds last year.

Ahmed Noor, 33, appeared at appeared at Belfast Crown Court on Tuesday charged with murdering 29-year-old Mohsin Bhatti on 29 January 2015.

Noor, who is originally from Somalia but whose address was given as at Agincourt Avenue in Belfast, denied murder.

But he admitted manslaughter "by reason of diminished responsibility".

A prosecution lawyer said that the Crown accepted his plea to manslaughter.

Requests

The lawyer also revealed that a second charge Noor was facing, of possessing two knifes with intent to commit murder, was being "left on the books, not to be proceeded with".

Mr Bhatti, who came from Pakistan, had been in Northern Ireland for about a year and had been living at India Street at the time of his death.

During Tuesday's hearing, both the prosecution and defence asked for time to allow for the preparation of pre-sentence and medical reports.

The judge granted the requests and said she would hear the plea on 30 June.

Noor was remanded back into custody to a secure unit at Knockbracken Healthcare Park on the outskirts of Belfast.

More on this story