Northern Ireland

Drugs warning: Family's agony after 'ecstasy death'

Jamie Burns was taken by ambulance to hospital, but died a short time later. Image copyright Photo courtesy of the Burns family
Image caption Jamie Burns was taken by ambulance to hospital, but died a short time later.

The family of a young man who died after a night out in Belfast have given an emotional warning about the dangers of drugs.

Jamie Burns, 23, collapsed at Queen's University Student's Union in south Belfast in the early hours of Sunday.

Mr Burns was taken by ambulance to hospital, but died a short time later.

His family said they believed he had taken ecstasy and died after making one "stupid mistake".

His sister, Gemma, warned others not to do the same thing.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionJamie Burns' sisters talk about how the family is 'broken'

"It's not worth it, don't do it. This family will never be the same again. My brother was loved so much by so many different people," she said.

"You only have to look at his Facebook to know how many people loved him.

"Anybody thinking about it, don't do it."

'Broken'

Gemma said her brother got "tempted into trying something different."

She said the "hole" left within the lives of the family "can never be filled".

"We are broken", she added.

A post-mortem examination is now due to establish the cause of his death.

The police said they were investigating a sudden death.

Related Topics

More on this story