Man dies after Armagh house fire
A 55-year-old man has died following a house fire in Armagh city.
Thirty firefighters tackled a blaze at a terraced house in Culdee Drive which was extensively damaged.
The man has been named locally as Barry Toal.
Neighbours put a ladder against a rear bedroom window in a bid to rescue Mr Toal who was inside the property, but he died in the fire.
Crews were called to the scene at 20:40 GMT on Friday. The ambulance service said two people were treated for the effect of smoke and fumes.
The NI Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) confirmed that five appliances were in attendance.
NIFRS Group Commander Mark Smyth said it was an "intense fire" and investigations as to how it started were ongoing.
The fire service said crews started operations on the first floor and roof space of the property.
It added that firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using jets "were able to bring the fire under control quickly and prevent fire spread to adjoining properties, but unfortunately they discovered that a person had lost their life in the incident".
Crews attended from Armagh, Keady, Portadown and Lisburn.