Londonderry murder: Gerard Quinn's neighbour tried to save his life

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionBBC Newsline's Keiron Tourish reports from Derry after a father-of-one is killed in an assault at a party on Saturday night.

A neighbour of a man murdered in Londonderry at the weekend has described how he tried in vain to save his life.

Gerard Quinn, 24, was assaulted at Milldale Crescent in Currynierin on Saturday night. He was taken to Altnagelvin hospital but later died.

On Monday, police were granted an extra 24 hours to question a 16-year-old boy in connection with the murder.

Paul Sharkey ran out with towels as Mr Quinn was slumped by a wall.

Image copyright Press Eye
Image caption Gerard Quinn died after an assault on Saturday night

"I was holding his neck, keeping pressure on. I still had a pulse," he said.

"We rolled him over, lost the pulse straight away and I started CPR.

"I managed to get a small pulse back again and then the ambulance turned up and took over from there.

"He went up to the hospital with a pulse and he was fighting for his life.... I'm really glad that he did not die on the street."

Mr Sharkey said that when he arrived at the scene, there were crowds of people screaming.

"I haven't slept, every time I close my eyes I can just see the young fella. This is something I'm never going to get over," he said.

A post-mortem examination is due to take place later on Mr Quinn's body. His twin brother, Michael, was also treated for injuries sustained in the attack.

Image copyright Kelvin Boyes / Press Eye
Image caption Forensic officers at the scene of the attack

Mr Quinn has been described by those who knew him as "fun loving".

Jimmy McAlister is the manager of Nierin football club, for whom Gerard played.

"He was fun loving, he played football with a smile on his face you know? He was one of the characters in the changing room that everybody liked.

"It's devastating, heartbreaking, he's got a young kid of his own and it's just a complete shock to everybody.

Image caption Mr Quinn was killed after a row at a house in Mildale Crescent

"Everybody round here knows everybody else so the whole estate will be feeling it today and for a long time to come," Mr McAlister said.

'Total Devastation'

Fr Michael Canny from Waterside parish visited the Quinn family on Sunday.

Image caption The scene is currently being examined

"It's another tragedy in the city. I was horrified to hear of the murder and yesterday afternoon I went to visit the family and I have to say it's a scene of complete and total devastation," he said.

"The parents and the extended family are really struggling to come to terms with the enormity of actually what has happened.

"That somebody who was young, someone who was very special and important to them, their life has been snuffed out in such a terrible manner," he said.

Image caption The Quinn family are said to be 'struggling to come to terms' with his death

Dermot Chambers knew Gerard from a young age through Ardmore Gaelic club.

"I would have trained him from he was five or six years of age. Any time you saw him he had a ball with him, he was one of those types of fellas you know, always wanting to be involved in sport," he said.

"It's a terrible loss and a very sad day for the community of Ardmore and our prayers are with the family.

"There was that much police activity we knew that there was something serious wrong and then we heard that news, devastating."

More on this story