Londonderry pensioner rescued from burning house

Iniscarn Court
Image caption The Fire Service have said that the house did not have a working smoke alarm

A woman in her 70s has said she is lucky to be alive after a fire at her home on Monday night in Londonderry.

Firefighters believe the fire started accidentally just before 24:00 GMT in the spare bedroom of her semi-detached bungalow at Iniscarn Court.

Gemma McDaid became aware there was something wrong when her lights flickered in the kitchen as the fire was affecting the electrics.

A man who was passing by helped her to safety.

Image caption Gemma McDaid said that she became aware there was an issue when her lights flickered in the kitchen due to the fire affecting the electrics

"He saved my life and I wouldn't be here today but only for him", she said.

"I must have turned on my electric fire and there must have been something near it.

"It took me a while to realise that the fire was coming from my house."

Fire officer David Nicholl said that the house did not have a working smoke alarm.

"I cannot stress enough the need for everyone to have a working smoke alarm," he said.

"It gives you an early warning which can save lives."