UKIP leader Nigel Farage hails gains in council elections across England - while David Cameron pledges to "work hard to win back voters".
All the results, reaction and analysis as results come in from English local elections, the South Shields by-election and the council elections in Anglesey.
Labour holds on to the seat vacated by former Foreign Secretary David Miliband.
Analysis and Background
- Cameron: 'No good insulting UKIP'00:44
- Miliband: 'We can turn country around'00:28
- UKIP family win three seats in Boston02:15
- Clegg: 'Party of protest to government'00:40
- Why did Boston vote for UKIP?01:34
- Seventh place finish 'not our finest hour'01:54
- Labour winner 'absolutely ecstatic'01:13
- Family takes three seats for UKIP02:23
- How BBC's election graphics work04:37
- Nigel Farage: Send in the clowns01:51
- 'We hear you', Tories tell UKIP voters03:31
- UKIP 'shouldn't be labelled loonies'06:34