Scotland

Grandmother and child rescued from fire in Edinburgh

A three-year-old girl and her grandmother have been rescued from a block of flats in Edinburgh after a blaze broke out in a hallway.

Fire crews were called to the five-storey block of terraced flats in Buckingham Terrace, in the west of the city, shortly after 22:00 on Tuesday.

Neighbours on the ground floor managed to escape.

But the woman and child had to be rescued by turntable ladder from the top-floor flat.

They were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire was in a first-floor flat.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said the building had been heavily smoke-logged and it was thought the fire had been smouldering for some time.

She said: "This was a frightening experience for the two that were rescued from the property.

"Clearly, they were very anxious about the thick smoke and it was felt the best course of action was to remove them from the building using the cage of the turntable ladder. Fortunately, no one else was injured.

"As always we can't stress enough the importance of having a working smoke alarm in your home.

"It is the best way to give you early warning of a fire."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites