Old toilets become public archive
- 14 March 2013
- From the section Tayside and Central Scotland
Disused toilets have become a different kind of public convenience - housing community archives.
Dunkeld's archives have been housed at the top of one of the stone towers at Dunkeld Cathedral, Strathtay.
But their new home, in formerly disused public conveniences at a prominent position in a corner of the town cross, will be officially opened on 22 March.
Mrs Eileen Cox, who was one of the instigators of the archive in 1994, will cut the ceremonial ribbon.
As well as a substantial collection of local artefacts gathered by volunteers over 19 years, the archive houses the records of the Scottish Horse, a yeomanry regiment of the British Territorial Army from 1902 to 1956.
Rather than being removed via 45 hazardous steps, the archives were taken from the cathedral tower via a cherry picker.
The new archive has been funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Rural Tayside Leader, Griffin Wind Farm Community Fund, as well as other local funders.